View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:13 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
**Forum Ranking System: Explained** 
Administrator
Administrator

Ok so I want to go ahead and explain how this works before people start making assumptions that it is a popularity contest. Someone at the meets last Monday had suggested to set up a "ranking" system on the new forums and I quickly rejected the idea thinking of the turmoil it would start. Thinking about it more I decided to go ahead and give it a try, and here are my reasoning's. First of all it's a brand new forum and to a certain extent everyone is starting at step one making it "fair". The rank is entirely based on your post count and here is how the breakdown is:

Image New User - All new users begin here, with a post count of 0.
Image 1 Star User - This rank promotion at 10 posts
Image 2 Star User - This rank promotion at 50 posts
Image 3 Star User - This rank promotion at 100 posts
Image 4 Star User - This rank promotion at 250 posts
Image 5 Star User - This rank promotion at 400 posts
Image Godly Poster - This rank promotion at 1000 posts

I figured the intervals I had chosen here were reasonable in relation to the activity of our forums, and how long it will take to get to a higher post count. Now keep in mind this rank has absolutely NO significance other than an aesthetically cool looking tag under your name, and possibly a bit more respect when posting for being a more active user. With that being said I will clearly take notice of the members who are moving up in rank, and post count and have a positive effect on the community. I will constantly be looking for mature and helpful forum moderators and global moderators as well as help with design work that all yield their own unique tag. I feel like this ranking system gives a little bit of fun incentive to keep everyone posting, and making sure these forums stay lively all year! The other advantage is you will see below that there are other special tags I can assign to different individuals such as:

Image - You see this tag under my name, as well as Cole's name as we are the site administrators.
Image - For banned users that I have not wiped their posts. You can see if a user that post your reading is banned...
Image - This is a tag I have reserved for anyone who regularly helps me with design related jobs for the forums such as logo creation, shirt design, stickers, business cards, flyers, etc.
Image - The founder tag will be assigned to people who have personally donated money to the community, and are being recognized for it as a founder. More of an explanation of how to become a founding member will be posted ASAP!
Image - This is a tag that will be applied to those members of the forums who have shown excellence in helping out their peers in the tech section, generally providing good usable content to the forums, and always being present at Monday's meets as often as possible. These members will generally be assigned to moderate one specific forum on the boards.

Image - This tag signifies the sponsors of our site/community! There will be businesses that have paid for advertising rights on the forums, they're accounts will be labeled with this tag.

Anyways I will run it like this for a while and see how it goes, if anyone has any objections to the intervals of posting to bump up your rank, or just the general ranking overall please voice your opinion in this thread!

Sat Jun 23, 2012 12:27 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Administrator
Administrator

Just noticed something strange is happening and "New User" tag isn't being applied in posts, but in the members list everything looks right. I think this will fix itself once people get up above 25 posts, and new users registered past this point will start with no stars. So if you registered before this second, well you lucked out and start at Rank 1 ;-) No promises that your next post it wont say New User though as it should be adjusting itself accordingly.

Sat Jun 23, 2012 12:34 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Administrator
Administrator

Seems like it fixed itself, and the rankings are all working properly now.

Sat Jun 23, 2012 1:32 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Administrator
Administrator

Lowered post count required for 1 Star user to 10 from 25 and 2 star users at 50 instead of 75.

Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:59 am
Profile YIM WWW
Administrator
Administrator

Lowered post count requirements for the following:

3 Star at 100 instead of 150
4 Star at 250 instead of 300
5 Star at 450 instead of 600
"Godly Status" (6 Star) at 1000 instead of 2000

Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:55 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]