View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:17 pm

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Shutting Down the forums? Questions, opinions, LETS TALK! 
Administrator
Administrator

Ok guys so it has become increasingly clear over the years that the popularity of forums has decreased at a significant rate. I remember a time when I would wake up in the morning and one of the first things I would do would be jump onto the car forums and start consuming information. I have noticed that over the years even for myself someone who still considers themselves an avid forum junkie, that even I am frequenting the forums less. With an overwhelming amount of convenient ways to consume information now a days I want to know where the whole "forum" thing stands with people.

I have no problem continuing to pay for the hosting and maintain the forum but clearly the activity around here is slim to none. I am actually curious to see how long it takes a few people to even read this post.

Anyways what I am looking for here are peoples opinions, thoughts, comments, ideas, suggestions or really whatever about the thought of getting rid of the forums for good and switching this domain to something of a website to be used for reference for event dates, meet information, etc etc. I could build in some small social features to the site that would allow members to share the news on Facebook and whatnot but I think the idea would be that Facebook would become the open forum for discussion, and I could post all of the photos and media we gather from events right to our website.

I would think of the website as our "LSS business card" to present what we are and what we do to the community.

Chime in on this guys, I want old members and new members voicing their opinion if possible....different age groups will certainly respond differently to this as well.

Fri Apr 24, 2015 8:48 am
Profile YIM WWW
1 Star User
1 Star User

I've personally turned facebook completely off for my needs, but that's my choice.
What if this site became more like a light weight blog, the basic static info is (up to date) info for meeting location(s)/times. You'd have entries for news, french fry runs, St Lac posts, drag nights etc.

The day to day chatter probably easiest over facebook group.
The buy/sell would be the hardest to migrate, as the forum provides a filtered way to ask questions/info besides linking to kijiji posts.

Fri Apr 24, 2015 9:29 am
1 Star User
1 Star User

I had a very similar thought a few weeks ago. A site more to let people know whats going on, and share media related to the club. Facebook seems to have become the open forum for most now a days.

I think its a good idea.

Tue Apr 28, 2015 1:00 pm
1 Star User
1 Star User

im still here i check the site often to see if there any changes,

Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:13 pm
3 Star User
3 Star User

I still check the site a bit although life's been busy lately and I must admit I havnt been on it as much as I used to be. It pains me to see the forum slowing to a crawl like this because I still find it a valuable piece to me. I enjoy the idea of the build threads especially and being able to click on one and watch someone's car transform over the course of a few (or many in some cases) pages. You don't get that on Facebook. I'd have to agree that Facebook is a great medium for quick info or to discuss a meet location/time, etc. but to me the forum just has an all around better feel. The forum feels like a part of our "car culture" if you will, whereas Facebook is more of a cesspool you have to wade through to find useful info. Whatever you choose to do with the forum I'd support but if there's anything I can do to help keep it going I'd be more than happy to help.

Cheers,
Tyler

Tue May 26, 2015 11:05 pm
2 Star User
2 Star User

Aswell I pop on the odd time to see nothing but old threads that I have already gone through. I find all forum site are slowing down. Fb is good bc it's quick/easy to post pics and what not. However everything I have learned about fixing my cars and other thing have been information I have read on forums. They deff hold a place in my books but unfortunately I feel they are on the way out :(

Thu Jun 11, 2015 7:28 pm

Chiming in...

I would say that Facebook is not the "be all, end all", and I know a lot of people that are turned off by it. However, it should be used, in tandem with either a full site or this forum (preferably the latter).

Regarding the latter, a site or a forum needs life, needs breath, meaning... it needs content. People are stoked to see new posts and follow where they go. I have tried to do that with my "Adventures in Japanland" blog, but I feared that not many people were reading it, as I had little stats on that. However, I'm all for keeping it going. (Just been overly busy over here.)

Real creative content that is conceived or gathered by a steering committee. It needs an editor, moderator, creative content producer, etc... something like that.

Whether it's a forum or a site, they require work. Someone needs to champion it, and to believe in it. It's hard to believe in it if they feel that no one is watching.

Also, the "Limestone" in the name is a small place, which means lower readership. If it were to grow, it might need to cover a larger scope. (Eastern Ontario?) (But perhaps not, if it is steered in the right direction)

And again, I don't think Facebook is the answer. A site or forum gives a real face. Look at Speedhunters or something. Great site, Facebook always updated with the site's content, so it pulls people in.

This is a challenge that many have faced, but there is a way. It just takes dedication, organization, and a commitment to content, along with regular facelifts and such. (If it looks "alive", people might continue stopping by.)

Finally, forums have saved my ass on a few occasions... the knowledge on them is way more valuable than anything that Facebook can provide. I say definitely keep it, but there needs to be a steering committee that is dedicated to seeing it live. If it is championed and steered forward, it will thrive.

My three cents...

Pancake Racing JB7

Adventures in Japanland
http://limestonestreetscene.ca/forum/viewforum.php?f=27

Intro
http://limestonestreetscene.ca/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=136

Wed Jul 22, 2015 7:45 am
Profile WWW
1 Star User
1 Star User

^^^Wheres the like button!^^^

Haha. Agreed. Forums can be a hard thing to "lead". They sort of take their own path. That said, your post is spot on. The site needs life to live.

Thu Jul 23, 2015 8:54 am
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next