View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:41 am

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
Seasonal Drivers Beware 
3 Star User
3 Star User

So if you have a winter beater like me and only insure it seasonally you're may run into a problem with MTO when you go to buy a sticker. (My sticker expired in May, after the car was off the road) As we all know MTO changed their proof of insurance requirements about 2 years ago and consequently its created a problem with seasonally insured vehicles. You cannot purchase a sticker until they verify insurance through the Insurance Board of Canada..which is all well and good until you find out that it takes weeks between the time your insurance takes effect (say Dec 1st for example) and when MTO can verify that on the system. During this time you cannot purchase a sticker....and hence drive legally.

I was told to insure the vehicle a few weeks sooner to avoid this....Fat fucking chance. Apparently I'm not the only person who voiced his/her objection to such a ridiculous suggestion. There was a onetime seasonal/manual override for the 1st year but now that they are in their 2nd year the complaints are starting to pile up. The lady at MTO told me they had a conference call about this and it's being looked into.

My suggestion, buy a two year sticker.

Wed Nov 20, 2013 3:58 pm
Administrator
Administrator

I went through the same thing this spring when i went to put my 240 back on the road. Has insurance on it for about a week prior to going in to get my sticker and it still hadn't registered with MTO even tho i had a valid slip on me. Long story short i raised a huge stink and had them call my company and they put it through. But its super aggravating and a waste of time.

90 240SX
90 300ZX 2+2
02 Outback
15 Sti

Thu Nov 21, 2013 2:42 pm
Administrator
Administrator

I believe the work around for this would potentially be to just keep fire and theft on the vehicle and have it still tied to your policy no?

Sun Nov 24, 2013 1:51 pm
Profile YIM WWW

Didn't know of this problem. Thanks for posting this!

Pancake Racing JB7

Adventures in Japanland
http://limestonestreetscene.ca/forum/viewforum.php?f=27

Intro
http://limestonestreetscene.ca/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=136

Sun Nov 24, 2013 7:26 pm
Profile WWW
3 Star User
3 Star User

Emilio wrote:
I believe the work around for this would potentially be to just keep fire and theft on the vehicle and have it still tied to your policy no?

I do keep fire and theft on mine and I hope this solves the problem. I had a further crinkle to my situation which prevented me from testing this. Because technically I would have an active policy on file, the question is does the insurance company just report and confirm an active policy on said vehicle to the Insurance Board of Canada or must they further identify if it's full driveable/ sticker worthy coverage. Ie; at least liability.

Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:59 am
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]